Computer Vision / Numerical Optimization Research Engineer
Image Metrics is one of the world’s leading facial analysis companies. We develop entertainment and analysis solutions for consumer, video game, film, interactive, and research industries. We have a track record of developing some of the most exciting new immersive user experiences on a wide variety of platforms, from professional production equipment right through to consumer mobile devices. We are looking to enhance our market lead in realtime facial analysis by continuing to develop our core facial tracking and analysis technologies as well as by developing new tracking technologies focused around virtual reality (VR). We have an immediate opening for an experienced Computer Vision Research Engineer or Numerical Optimization Engineer who will work as part of Image Metrics’ research group and liaising closely with the team at leading facial animation technology company Faceware Technologies. You will be able to work from any of our three sites in Manchester, UK, Austin, TX, and El Segundo, CA, USA.
Working as part of our dedicated research team, you will be responsible for maintaining and improving our core computer vision and numerical optimization technologies. You will be involved in developing stateoftheart computer vision algorithms to refine and improve our current tracking systems. You will also be expected to contribute to our 3D facial analysis, modeling and animation technology, where an indepth knowledge of 3D geometry representations, optimization methods and numerical techniques will be critical skills. You will work to address new technology challenges in response to customer and internal requirements. The position will be focused on professional animation production for movies and computer games, and bringing our technologies to the exciting emerging consumer VR market.
Your role will be crucial to the continued success of the company in supporting and expanding its customer base. You will work alongside our team of developers to deploy our technology into efficient realtime and professional applications on multiple platforms including Windows, Linux, iOS and Android. You will have opportunities to stay in touch with developments in the image processing field by attending and, where appropriate, contributing to leading academic and industry conferences.
As a successful candidate, you’ll have a passion for this exciting field and the desire to apply efficient, practical technology to facial analysis and tracking problems for use by some of the world’s best animation and game companies.
- A postgraduate degree in computer vision, image processing, applied numerical analysis or related subject
- A strong applied numerical analysis background including indepth knowledge of optimization techniques
- Proven track record in the development and implementation of efficient, realtime computer vision and numerical algorithms
- Experience in Matlab and C++
- Ability to work well as part of small, focused research and development team
- Motivation to meet customer requirements and development deadlines
- Permission to work in the UK or US
- Postgraduate experience in academia or within a commercial environment in relevant fields
- High levels of self-motivation and a proven ability to apply technical knowledge to practical problems in an effective manner
- Strong publication record in relevant journals and conferences
- Direct experience of the facial analysis and tracking field
- Experience of both user and datadriven facial animation production methodologies
- The chance to become an integral member of our research team, actively involved in both specific customer support projects and general research and development across the company
- Work in a modern and relaxed research environment in a prime location in the centre of Manchester, UK, or in one of our US offices in Austin, TX or El Segundo, CA. Flexible working arrangements are also possible.
- Contribute towards cutting edge technology deployed to provide new forms of interaction with consumer devices, and deployed in the professional space to create the world’s most respected video games and films
- The chance to work with some of the most exciting entertainment companies in the world
- Opportunities to travel to between our offices to help deploy technology
- Excellent salary and benefits package
Image Metrics was founded in 2001 and is a leading provider of computer vision technology for facial and human tracking, augmented reality and 3D facial animation. It has a track record of deploying technology to the mass market that is used worldwide by millions of consumers. It has several bluechip companies as current clients and a growing portfolio of mobile applications powered by state-of-th-eart technology developed in-house.
Sherman Oaks, California based Faceware Technologies Inc. (FTI), which spun off from Image Metrics in 2012, is dedicated to meeting the needs of professional animators in the video game, film, television, and commercial industries. The company’s Faceware product line has been utilized in over 50 countries in the production of more than 250 video game titles, feature films, music videos, commercials, television shows, and stage plays, and is the leading facial animation solution provider for clients such as Double Negative, Digital Domain, Blur Studios, Activision-Blizzard, Rockstar Games, Microsoft, 2K Sports, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, Bethesda, Motion Theory and Moving Picture Company http://www.facewaretech.com
Applicants are invited to apply using the form below. Applications must be received by 30th June 2016.
Please include the following as attachments:
- Cover letter
- CV or résumé
- List of recent publications